CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Pretty Good Day

Today our facilitator spent most of the day with the court for Igor. We haven't had a chance to hear all the details yet, but he sounded really tired on the phone. We will find out more in the morning. The adoption agency sent our home study update to USCIS and they have forwarded it and asked that it be expedited. I'm sure that it will be at the Embassy in Kiev in plenty of time. It looks like our 10 day waiting period will probably be closer to 20 because of the holiday. O well, I guess that I didn't need three more tax deductions this year anyway.

We found a store today to buy a pitcher for ice tea (since I drink that all year) and more dish towels, etc. We also got the phone card and I got in about three more hours of work for my job.

The best part of the day was visiting the girls late in the afternoon. Our facilitator arranged a cab for the trip to the orphanage, since he was still dealing with the court in Illichevsk. He had told us that we would be able to visit the girls, but that they would not be able to leave the orphanage grounds. We were pleasantly surprised when we got there and the social worker had Yulia write a permission letter for us to sign. We couldn't read what it said, but once we signed it, they said that we had to have them back by 8 pm, so we were able to take the girls out of the orphanage to supper. We walked to a large store, kind of like a Super Target, that had a food court. We had pizza for dinner and did a little shopping. On the way there, Yulia was cold, so I gave her my gloves and scarf to wear. After dinner we got her a new pair of gloves and they selected a Ukrainian cook book to take home. They will have to help with that cooking, since the book is in Russian. We picked up a few other things, like scotch tape and sticky notes and some candy bars for the girls to take back for themselves and a friend. We have also been told that they don't seem to sell washcloths in Ukraine. They have hand towels and bath towels, but no washcloths. After walking back to the orphanage, they walked us to the bus stop so that we would know where to catch bus number 133 back to the apartment. Once you know where to get on, you ride from one end of the route to the other. You know when you are at the end of the route, because the driver stops the bus and shuts off the engine. I wish that the bus had economy plus seating like United Airlines. I would definitely pay extra for some leg room. The seats are so close that it is nearly impossible for me to get my legs into the space in front of the seat. But, I guess for 25 cents it isn't too bad.

It was great to spend time with the girls. We really didn't have problems with communication. Yulia understands a lot, and if she didn't, Masha would explain it to her. Masha seems to understand almost everything and can speak very well most of the time. They seem to be getting more comfortable with us. We think that they will be allowed to spend the weekend with us, but we will check on it tomorrow.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

How exciting to have spent that time with the girls! I know you cherished every moment. Hopefully, they can spend the weekend with you, also. I do hope soon you can spend more time with Igor as well. I have a question: Are one of you from the south? At one point, you said "supper" and I am not sure if people from Omaha say that word. I am from Mississippi and people laugh at us because we say supper. Anyway, just thought I'd ask. I thought it was neat that one of you could be a fellow southerner.

Steve and Gail said...

Ashley,
We aren't from the south, unless you count me being from a farm in south-central Nebraska. We always said supper when I was growing up and we still say it. I think other people in Omaha also say supper.
Steve

Laura H said...

I'm glad you got that cookbook. I read Jim's blog about the Borscht and decided I'd like to try the real thing at least once. Since I didn't try it in May. I was thinking of asking for the name of their cookbook so I could try to order one from Amazon.

I never could figure out how you managed to fit even in an aisle seat in a mashruka. My legs were too long for them and I'm way shorter than you!

Give Igor and the girls (Vera too!) my love and tell the girls how much I look forward to having a real conversation with them when they come home to Omaha. I'm excited to hear how well they're doing with English.

Take care. I love you guys. I see from the clock that it's about suppertime in Ukraine. (Ashley, I grew up on that farm in south-central Nebraska with Steve so there are at least 2 people in Omaha who eat supper.)

Ashley said...

Awesome! I never knew ya'll said supper...haha Everyone always makes fun of me everywhere else I go because I say that. I am so happy to know they say that somewhere else and we aren't the only ones. :) Laura, you are funny. Okay, okay....I get it... I know now!

Jim H. said...

Hey friends,

We missed your call this morning because our caller ID said "caller unknown" and we thought you were a telemarketer. Nastia was so upset!

We'll be standing by and will pick up next time we see "caller unknown!"

It is a joy to read your updates.