CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Day of Rest

We went to church this morning with Michelle's roommate Lisa. The service was in Russian, except for the guest speaker, an American missionary support person, who was there for the installation of a new pastor for the congregation. Sasha, a young Ukranian man, had been mentored for five years by the pastor who's place he is taking. It was a blessing to see how these small churches are growing here. Even though the praise songs were in Russian, and we couldn't read the words from the screen, we could sing or hum along, knowing that we were all praising the same Lord and Saviour. We got so that we could sing some of the words by listening to them being sung, and use them the next time through the chorus. It was a good time of fellowship since several in the small congregation spoke English very well.

This evening, we went to church with Michelle in a house church for a group of American missionaries. It was good to worship and sing and fellowship in English. We also enjoyed the ice cream and cake as we celebrated the birthday of one of the women there.

There are two other American couples, here to adopt, that are staying in the same apartment complex. We met one of the couples at our appointment in Kiev on Friday, but haven't met either couple here in Odessa yet.

Tomorrow will be a busy day. We will meet with the head inspector (social worker) for the orphanages in Odessa. From her, we should get a letter allowing us to visit the orphanage and visit the girls. She will also be preparing a document telling the SDA (State Department of Adoptions) that the best interests of the children would be served, by having us adopt them. A copy of this document (Conclusion for Adoption) will also be taken to the adoption court judge to be used as part of the official adoption hearing. We will also visit a notary to complete a "Petition to Adopt" form, copies of which will go to the Inspector and the SDA. After our referral to, and meeting with the Director of the orphanage, she will prepare copies of the girls information packets for the SDA and for the Court. The girls will each be required to prepare a handwritten letter saying that they want to be adopted by us. These will be included with their documentation packet from the orphanage. Since Igor is in a different city, we may be required to prepare for a second court hearing in that city. Oles, our facilitator, will talk to the judge in that city to try to get permission to include Igor in the same adoption hearing as the girls, in Odessa. This would save quite a bit of time and effort, but is entirely at the discretion of the judge in the other city.

Hopefully this part of the process will be completed/arranged for by Wednesday. It will be a very busy two days. I will try to do a new posting each day through this.

Enough boring details for one day. It is 1:12 am and we will be meeting Oles at 8:30 am, so we better get some sleep.

God bless and keep praying.

6 comments:

junglemama said...

Cool. I just found your blog. I can't wait to read more.

junglemama said...

I went back and read about your appointment and I couldn't figure out if you are adopting two or three. Can you please clarify for me? Thanks so much and God bless you while you are there.

Steve and Gail said...

We are adopting three. I know the posting last night probably was a little disjointed. The girls, Masha and Yulia, are in the orphanage and Masha's brother, Igor, is no longer in the orphanage, but in a technical school in a city just outside Odessa.

Grace said...

I'm praying for you. I am excited for you and the kids. I am hoping to be in your shoes next year, so I am attending to everything you are doing. God bless.

Ashley said...

Steve and Gail - Thank you for keeping all of us updated. I love hearing peoples' stories and how their adoption is going in Ukraine. I know I won't be fully prepared when we travel (hopefully next year), but I feel it is helping me to be prepared as much as I can be. I will be continue to pray and I hope these next couple of busy days go well. That will be awesome if you can only have one court hearing. May God bless all of you on this journey. Give Michelle my love. Thanks. :)

Ashley said...

I am looking at your weather in Omaha at 18 degrees and 39 degrees in Ukraine....ouch! We have the air conditioning on right now. It is in the 80's here in Mississippi where I live. I hope I can make it in Odessa if we have to travel in the winter. haha You probably think it's warm there since it is so much colder right now in Omaha. You definitely have that advantage. :)